Once the home of mastodons then buffalo, Pittsfield Township was the crossroads of native peoples for more than 10,000 years. The first European settlers began to arrive in 1824 to farm the Michigan wilderness. Today, Pittsfield Charter Township is the third largest municipality in Washtenaw County and home to almost 40,000 people.
The Pittsfield Township Historical Society is a group of volunteers dedicated to preserving and sharing the history of Pittsfield Township and the traditions of those who have lived here. Since we began in 1998*, our major project has been restoring the 1830s Sutherland-Wilson farmstead. We also hold educational programs for the public, manage the Township's historical archive and preserve our history for the future.
The Pittsfield Township Historical Society is a tax-exempt organization under both federal and state law. All contributions to the society are tax deductible.
The historical society would appreciate your participation, contributions of historical documents and objects, as well as financial contributions.
The Sutherland-Wilson Farm Museum
* While the current Pittsfield Township Historical Society was founded in 1998, there was an earlier committee formed in the late 1970s. That committee performed important functions -- gathering and preserving documents and preparing some written text on the early history of Pittsfield Township. We are indebted to the earlier committee and honor their contributions to our common objectives. Read this 1979 article from the Ann Arbor News that tells their history.